With it being summertime, it's important to stay hydrated as the temperatures rise. But sometimes it can be challenging to remember to drink enough water throughout the day. In this blog post, we will cover some tips to help you stay hydrated this summer.
1. Always carry a water bottle: It's easy to forget to drink water when you're on the go. Carrying a water bottle with you wherever you go can help you stay hydrated throughout the day. Ditch the plastic to avoid harmful hormone disrupters and focus on glass or stainless steel.
2. Set reminders: If you have trouble remembering to drink enough water, set reminders on your phone. You can also use apps like WaterMinder to track your water intake.
3. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol: Sugary drinks and alcohol can dehydrate you, so it's best to limit your intake of these beverages. Stick to water, herbal tea, and coconut water instead.
4. Eat hydrating foods: Eating foods with high water content can help you stay hydrated. Water-rich fruits and vegetables like watermelon, strawberries, cucumbers, and celery are excellent options.
5. Drink fluids before, during, and after exercise: When you exercise, you lose water through sweat, so it's important to drink fluids before, during, and after your workout to stay hydrated. Avoid drinking water with a meal as it dilutes your hydrochloric acid in your stomach and is therefore not beneficial for digestion. Try to consume 3 ounces or less at meal time.
6. Don't wait until you're thirsty: Thirst isn't always a reliable indicator of dehydration. By the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Set a goal to drink water every hour.
7. Water infusion is a great way to stay hydrated and enjoy the benefits of different herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Infusing water with various ingredients can add flavor to the typically boring drink and also provide additional benefits. For example, cucumber and lemon can help with digestion, while ginger can reduce inflammation. Chlorophyll is very alkalizing and the one from Health Simplified has an added mint flavor! Yum!
Other commonly infused ingredients include mint, strawberries, oranges, and limes. To make a water infusion, simply add the desired ingredients to a pitcher of water and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. The longer the ingredients sit, the stronger the flavor and benefits will be.
By following these practical tips, you can enjoy summer and stay hydrated at the same time!